iThemba LABS (iThemba Laboratory for Accelerator Based Sciences) Profile
The iThemba LABS, which is short for iThemba Laboratory for Accelerator Based Sciences, is a research department that takes account of multidisciplinary courses which is then applied into their methods of research. Considered to be the only African facility that makes use of cyclotron facilities, iThemba LABS is an advanced department that has made its grounds onto the Southern Hemisphere. On top of conducting several research programmes, iThemba LABS is also responsible for offering collaborative programmes and a series of joint training. This type of cooperation is extended not just to fellow research laboratories, but also to students originating from tertiary institutions. After all, it is not just the pursuit of knowledge that iThemba LABS is heading for – it is mission in providing a better world for the global society through the power of research.
About iThemba LABS (iThemba Laboratory for Accelerator Based Sciences) Bursaries 2020-2021
The iThemba LABS Bursary is a programme supported by the National Research Foundation (NRF) offered to students who are keen on the subjects of Science and Technology. The goal of this bursary programme is to promote the range of fields that are in line with Natural Science, Social Science, Engineering, Humanities, and everything in between. By making use of this bursary, it is hoped that bursars are able to have their research skills developed and becoming better contributors of society under the supervision of the NRF and with the assistance of their extensive facilities.
The bursary is also well-known for the iThemba Laboratory, a research laboratory that is based in Gauteng and the Western Cape. The laboratory is capable of providing multiple facilities that helps in the research of:
- Utilization of particle beams
- Radiotherapy as a means of cancer treatment research
- Supply of accelerator-produced radionuclides (typically designed for both industrial and medical applications.)
The iThemba Laboratory is specifically allocated for students who are attaining their education in any of these following courses below:
- BEng (Electrical and Electronic)
- ND/BTech (Mechanical Engineering)
- BEng (Mechatronics)
- ND/BTech (Electrical Engineering)
- BSc (Computer Science)
- BEng (Mechanical)
All successful candidates of the iThemba LABS Bursary will be entitled to a fully-expenses paid tuition.
iThemba LABS (iThemba Laboratory for Accelerator Based Sciences) Bursary Requirements
To apply for the iThemba LABS Bursary, candidates must be able to meet the eligibility criteria that has been set by the committee. The purpose behind these criteria is to ensure that the committee is able to seek out truly well-deserving student who highly need this bursary to continue their education. Therefore, it is advisable for future candidates to meet the qualifications below to ensure success with their applications.
The iThemba LABS Bursary Requirements are as follows:
- Candidates are currently in their second academic year of their studies
- Candidates are to obtain at least a 60% passing grade during the first year of their studies
- Candidates will be chosen mainly based on their academic potential and achievements
- Candidates must currently be pursuing their education in any one of the registered tertiary institutions in South Africa.
How to Apply iThemba LABS (iThemba Laboratory for Accelerator Based Sciences) Bursary 2020-2021
If you you are a hundred percent confident in applying for the iThemba LABS Bursary, it’s time to get started with your application procedure. First off, all interested applicants are to check the availability status of the programme through the iThemba Labs Career Portal. From there on, you can take a look whether the bursary is open for applications at the moment or not. If it’s not, don’t get your hopes down just yet. Come back any time in the future to see for openings updates. However, if it is open at the moment, candidates may immediately download the Official Application Form.
After having your application form downloaded, be sure to follow these instructions below:
- Read all of the questions and inquiries on the application form before you start writing anything
- Have the form fully completed with all of the required information
- Fill in the application form using only BLOCK LETTERS
- Be advised that this bursars are strictly disallowed to use the financial funding from this programme to pay off any loans or debts
- Applications forms must contain official signatures
- Incomplete application forms will automatically be disregarded by the committee
- Candidates found to be falsifying or providing wrong information on their application forms will automatically be disregarded by the committee
- Applications are NOT to be sent by fax and must be submitted through the appropriate method of submission
On top of your application forms, candidates are to have the following documents attached as well:
- A valid copy of the candidates’ senior certificate
- A valid copy of the candidate’s most recent academic transcript complete with the official letterhead (for university/university of technology students)
- A valid copy of the candidate’s South African Identity Document
All application dossiers are to be submitted via e-mail to this provided e-mail address: [email protected] for attention Ms S Dunge. Furthermore, application dossiers must be sent in way before the closing deadline. Anything sent after that will be disqualified. Announcements will only be made to candidates who have been shortlisted for the iThemba LABS Bursary. Should you not hear back from the committee within a few weeks past the closing date, we regret to inform you that you have not been selected for the programme.
iThemba LABS Contact Address
Old Faure Road
P.O. Box 722
Somerset West 7129
Tel: +27 21 843 1000
Fax: +27 21 843 3756
Email: [email protected]
Source: iThemba LABS; Author: Larxsati; Editor: Melisa; Picture: tlabs.ac.za.