Funza Lushaka Profile
The Funza Lushaka Bursary is a programme that is dedicated to developing the importance of teaching and everything around it, especially under the setting of public schools. Initiated through several years in one taking, the Funza Lushaka Bursary allows students who are qualified enough to acquire a formal teaching accreditation that will truly benefit them, especially if they choose to have a career in becoming a pubic school teacher. Additionally, these bursaries will provide the guarantee for their awardees to earn a job in teaching at a chosen public school, for a duration that is as long as the years they have received the bursary.
About Funza Lushaka – Teaching Bursaries 2020
The Funza Lushaka Teaching Bursaries helps students who wish to study the knowledge of teaching by granting them with the necessary financial funding and support. With the bursary scheme operating on a provincial basis, the bursary will place all of their awardees in the regions of their choice. However, if there are no posts available in a certain region, they will be placed in a Provincial Education Department that is in dire need of teachers.
There are several areas of teaching that are highly prioritized by the Funza Lushaka Teaching Bursaries, namely:
- Foundation Phase (e.g. Grades R-3): a foundation phase with a strong emphasis on African Languages
- Intermediate and Senior Phase (e.g. Grades 4-9): a strong emphasis in any of these two subjects: Mathematics, Languages, and Natural Science and Technology
- FET Phase (e.g. Grades 10-12) a strong emphasis in any of these two subjects
- Civil Technology
- Physical Sciences
- Engineering Graphics and Design
- Mechanical Technology
- Agricultural Technology
- Languages, Technical Mathematics
- Computer Applications Technology
- Life Sciences
- Agricultural Sciences
- Technical Science
- Information Technology
- Electrical Technology.
Successful grantees of the Funza Lushaka Teaching Bursaries will be entitled to a grand amount of financial funding that will help them cover several student-related expenses. Upon receiving financial assistance, students will be able to make use of it to pay off their tuition fees, accommodation and meal costs, study materials prescribed by the university, and a sufficient amount of allowances provided on a monthly basis. The amount of funding that is provided for each students differs from one university to another. Additionally, should there be other expenses that are not covered by the bursary, students will have to use their own personal funds instead. If you require further information about this certain establishment, do not hesitate to visit the Official Funza Lushaka Website.
Funza Lushaka – Teaching Bursary Requirements
The Funza Lushaka – Teaching Bursary extends its arms towards any individual who would like to pursue a serious career in professional teaching. However, the opportunity is only open towards groups of people who are able to fulfill the eligibility criteria that has been determined by the committee. This is to ensure that only well-deserving students receive their much-needed student funding as a means to continue their studies without any financial interruptions. If you do not fulfill all of the requirements below, chances are, you might not qualify for the bursary scheme. Check out for more details at the Official Funza Lushaka Website.
The Funza Lushaka Teaching Bursary Requirements includes:
- Is an official citizen of South Africa, proven by their Identity Document number
- Must show proof of acquiring their BEd or PGCE certification, which you must earn in a recognized university in South Africa
- Candidates must be taking up any of the two specializations that have been previously mentioned above
- Candidates must not change their chosen specializations once they have been chosen for the bursary programme
- Be willing to use your own personal funds to pay for the bursary registration – however, any payment for its registration does not guarantee you automatic success into the bursary scheme
- Must be ready to carry out their teaching duties in a region that has been chosen by the Provincial Education Department (PED)
- Take note that the allocation of these bursaries are only permitted to employees of Higher Education Institutions, excluding their spouse, dependents, or children
- Upon acceptance into the bursary programme, all participants are subject to a provincial teaching post as part of an oblgation to this bursary scheme
- Be willing to share their existing e-mail address and phone number so that they may be contacted throughout the entire period of their studies
- Understand the consequences should they fail to maintain the requirements that come with this bursary programme (repay the bursary scheme)
- Should you repay the bursary scheme, there will be a interest applied as well, which will be determined as per the rules and regulations of the NSFAS, also known as the National Student Financial Aid Scheme
- Bursary schemes will only be provided on a yearly basis. It may be renewed, provided that you are able to maintain your academic track record. Renewing your bursary scheme must be done at the very latest on October 1st every year
- Display an astounding academic track record during their studies
- Has a keen commitment into the craft of teaching, which involves a series of skills such as engaging with a younger audience, overcome difficult obstacles along the way, and have a high sense of integrity
- Take note that this bursary schemes is an inclusive one, which is why preference will be given towards students originating from different rural areas of the country.
How to Apply Funza Lushaka – Teaching Bursary 2020
Once you have all of your requirements down, it’s time to begin your application procedure. Applicants, who must be at the age of 30 years old or over, must follow theses following application instructions below:
- Access the e-Gov Portal
- If this is your first time accessing the portal, be sure to Register for a New Account. However, if you already have an account, you may immediately login to the e-Gov Portal
- Once you have been redirected to the e-Services Menu, choose on the Funza Lushaka Bursary
- Type in the OTP that you have acquired on your channel
- Press on the Next button available on the Funza Lushaka Landing Page
- Click Accept on the Term and Conditions page
- Once you are on the dashboard, press on the Application Button
- Follow the rest of the application steps to finish up your procedure
- Confirm all of the information that you have put in and press Accept
The Funza Lushuka Bursary Programme is awarded on a yearly basis. However, be sure to have your applications sent in way before the application closing date. Late applications will automatically be disqualified from the application procedure. Announcements will only be made to successful applicants who have been accepted by the programme. If you have not heard back from the committee at the very latest 30 April, we regret to inform you that you have not been selected for the bursary scheme. Should you have any further questions or concerns, you can always read up their FAQ Page from time to time.
Grantees are may qualify to have their bursary renewed annually. However, your extension can only be granted once. Any funding that will be granted for renewal will be up for serious consideration and it usually taken upon on a case by case method. Renewals can only be conducted should you be able to provide valid proof on why you deserve to have your bursary renewed.
Grantees who are required to repay their bursaries will only have to do so should they fail a certain subject during their studies. Repayments must also be done by grantees who are unable to secure a teaching post with a PED in a public school. Lastly, should you choose to leave your teaching post with a PED, you will also have to repay the bursary scheme as well. Failure to repay the bursary programme with these conditions above will lead to a violation of the bursary agreement.
Department of Basic Education
222 Struben Street
Pretoria Central, Pretoria
Private Bag X895